A facelift (“rhytidectomy”) is a surgical procedure that can rejuvenate those who have lost youth in their face due to factors such as gravity, stress, and sun exposure. To improve the facial appearance, sagging skin and fat are removed from the jowls and neck while facial muscles are tightened.
Ideal candidates for facelift surgery are in good overall health and have realistic expectations about the outcome of their procedure. Individuals should undergo the procedure for their own personal reasons, and not because of pressure from others.
The procedure takes a couple of hours and is performed under general anesthesia on an outpatient basis. During facelift surgery, many conditions of the face can be corrected including:
- Sagging skin, muscles, and fat in the face
- Excess skin and fat on the neck
- A sagging jawline
- Creases around the nose, mouth and chin
Depending on what areas of the face the patient needs improvement on will determine which method is best for him/her:
- Full Facelift – Often referred to as the “traditional” method, this technique addresses the entire face (face, jowls, and neck). During a full facelift, fat is sculpted and muscle tissue is tightened while the skin is redraped to a natural contour. An incision begins at the temples and travels behind the ears where it is eventually hidden in the hairline.
- Mini Facelift – This technique is limited and does not include rejuvenation of the neck. During a mini facelift, excess skin and fat are removed while skin is tightened to reveal a smoother appearance. Shorter incisions are made at the temples and go down, but not around the ear, to reveal a more youthful look.
After surgery, pain and swelling will most likely exist, but these symptoms can be improved by taking prescribed medication. Patients usually return to work after about a week of downtime, but should avoid any strenuous activity for a couple of weeks.
Although the quality of improvement varies from person to person, individuals are typically very pleased with their results. Often times, patients gain a renewed sense of self-confidence from their new look.
Our goal at California Cosmetic Medical Center is to help you achieve your desired results that are both natural looking and long lasting. For more information on facelift surgery, we encourage you to a call our plastic surgeon to schedule your consultation.
Call (626) 350-0856 today!